BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 1, 2010

The Truth as I See It: Double Standards in our Culture

"double standard–noun1.any code or set of principles containing different provisions for one group of people than for another, esp. an unwritten code of behavior permitting men more freedom than women."

I have to get it off my chest, I am TIRED of the double-standard in our Culture. EVERYWHERE I look it seems okay for many guys to be lazy, overweight, slothful, video game-playing, tv watching, fast food eating, no-goals setting, lame-o's. And what do these guys want? Beautiful, smart, talented, thin, fit, goal-keeping models. Not to mention that these models should be good wives, good mothers, loving, kind, hard-working, and oh don't forget that they should give the guys sex when they want it (hopefully in marriage, but these days even that is unlikely). But yet the guys are... what? Ok to be out of shape, watching sports on tv all day? Or whatever another circumstance may be?

Now, don't get me wrong... I have been a lover of fast food and video games at times too.... But the point here isn't about what you love in that way, it's the fact that IF YOU ARE NOT UP TO PAR... THEN QUIT ACTING LIKE YOU DESERVE A FANTASTIC WOMAN!!!! WHY IN THE WORLD do guys always think that they deserve BETTER than they are?? And they "always" do that. They always seem to want this perfect woman, but yet they don't have to do anything. It makes me sick to experience how many nasty guys wanted to date me when I was thin and working out everyday; they actually thought that they deserved someone like me, even though they didn't take care of themselves. I don't think I can stand the double-standard anymore. When I gained some weight (and of course because of some stupid depression from falling in love to a womanizer. I regret letting go even a little due to being fooled), then these same overweight (way more than me), moderate, going no-where guys didn't seem interested in me anymore. I didn't care, but still thought... WHAT? Because WHY? I'm not a size four anymore? What about YOU, how is it okay that you are fat, non ambitious guys? What makes you actually think you are worth someone like me, even though I'm now bigger than a size four??

Here's an example... I dated a guy who couldn't find a job after graduation, complained about it everyday, didn't want to actually act on any of his options, had a slightly large belly, stayed home watching tv everyday, was always tired, even though he did nothing but sit around all day. Yet I was going to school, working full time as a manager in retail, and conducting a band for BYU. When I would come over to his place after a 12 hour day, HE was the one too tired to take me out, to talk to me, etc etc. And now that I think about it, the only thing he ever really had energy for was to "make-out" or whatever. Sigh. See, only with me being who I was then was I "good enough" in his mind for him. Because I was good looking, hard working, seemingly smart, etc etc. Yet he did nothing all day and was always tired, with no ambitions. I KNOW for a fact, that if things were reversed that he would dump me flat, never even think of me, and act like I wasn't good enough for him. Generally I find that this is the stereotypical thinking of our generation. That men deserve these power-house, trophy looking, amazing women (not saying that this is me, just the stereotype), while they sit at home, watching tv, feeling like the MAN because of what girl he gets to date. How about feeling good about yourself because YOU have these qualities, not because your woman does? Needless to say, I finally figured out that I would never be happy with a man like that and let him go. WHY in the world did I even consider it? I really think it's because of the brain washing of our culture. The voice that tells a woman that just because she is attractive to men, that's all see needs from them... attention. That is NOT what a woman should feel like she deserves. I'm sorry, but we deserve the same things. We deserve an ambitious, goal oriented, hard-working, loves us forever, kind of guy. Not just a guy who throws us a couple of lines and gives us attention. I will forever scream to the world that that will NEVER be me. NEVER again, and I hope that it would never be another woman.... we'll have to work on it.

This is what guys don't get, they probably should be scared of the world to come, because pretty soon, women are going to expect men to shape up. I already know that one woman already expects that. Me. So... in a/my perfect world, the guy will not be fat, wanting the perfect trophy on his arm. (But HEY, if you are a trophy MAN, then heck! Go for the trophy woman, it's only fair). Guys, the perfect world would be one where the woman wouldn't have to suffer with your disgusting body, while you expect us to be skinny, perfect, and big-boobed. Oh and don't forget to add that lately it is also now expected to have the perfect butt. If you are a guy who expects that, then you sure as day better have abs, hard as a rock butt, muscles for days, and a other big things. If we are expected to be gorgeous, then you better be too. Sigh. It makes me sick how many guys have double-standards in so many ways. It's pathetic. And until the time when I can find a guy who actually has what it takes to be a REAL MAN, I will stay single and happy. I will not be okay with the American double standard. I say, "Get with it, or women everywhere will wake up and will pass you up!!!" And to the women, may we all stop settling for these men. May we stop pretending like it's okay for the status-quo to be for the man to be some overweight slob, while we have to get tucks and lifts and implants to be "hot" for the not-so-hot man.

To end, I want to be clear. I have no bias towards fat, thin, blah blah blah. That is NOT what this is about. But it IS about being equally seen and equally heard. Please, people everywhere, whatever the sex... quit acting like it is ok for you to be imperfect while you look for something that you don't deserve. BE who you deserve and realize what you deserve, then maybe people everywhere will feel desired and equally yoked.

(And as an addendum - for the record I do LOVE men and I could write many other blogs about some amazing things about men and not-so-greats about women. This is just one blog and one thing I have to get out in the air).

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to comment then. RIGHT ON! We know it's true, it's sad that no one will voice it's truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life isn't fair... But, good things come to good people. Women need to stop accepting these men. It's natural for men to want everything but do nothing. I think there's a sense of that in everyone, but if you aren't willing to work towards what you want, then what you have won't last.

    ReplyDelete